PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / JARDINLAND
Cacti have gained more and more fans. It is a type of plant that is easy to care for and a great choice to grow at home. Exotic beauty and with different types and sizes, they make any environment more authentic and full of personality.
According to landscape artist Mônica Cipelli , “cacti belong to the cacti family and survive in hot or arid places, accumulating water in their tissues”. This is because they are succulent plants , that is, plants whose root, stem or leaves have been thickened to allow for the storage of water in much larger quantities than in normal plants. But Mônica explains: “cacti are succulent plants, but not all succulent plants are cacti”. So don’t confuse! There are many types of succulent plants, and cactus is just one of them.
Types of cactus
According to Mônica, there are 176 genera and 2,275 species of cacti. Check below some of the most interesting types selected by the landscaper for you to know:
1. Hedgehog cactus
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CACTUS ART
- Scientific name: Echinocereus rechenbachii
- Country of origin: Mexico
- Characteristics: Blooms in summer and grows up to 1.5m. It should be cultivated in full sun.
2. Old man’s beard
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / MY SOUTHERN SUCCIES
- Scientific name: Cephalocereus senilis
- Country of origin: Native to Central America
- Characteristics: Its popular name is due to the large amount of white hair the plant has. It only blooms after 20 years of planting and its flowers are red. Grown in full sun.
3. Monk’s hood
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CACTUS ZACH
- Scientific name: Astrophytum ornatum
- Country of origin: Mexico
- Characteristics: Cylindrical plant that grows up to 2m. Grown in full sun.
4. Yellow flower rhipsalis
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / ZEYNEP DINCER
- Scientific name: Hatiora salicornioides
- Country of origin: Brazil
- Characteristics: This is one of the few species of cactus that does not have thorns. It grows up to 1m, blooms between summer and spring and its small flowers are yellow or orange. Grown in half shade.
5. Thousand colors
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / FLOWER LOVER
- Scientific name: Sulcorebutia rauschii
- Country of origin: Argentina and Bolivia
- Characteristics: These are small colored globular cacti that cluster together. It blooms in summer and its flowers are magenta in color. Grown in half shade.
6. Devil’s Tongue
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CHAD SHERRILL
- Scientific name: Opuntia humifusa
- Country of Origin: Native to Eastern North America
- Characteristics: It has a lot of thorns and blooms in spring in full sun. It has yellow flowers and edible fruits. Its height reaches 45cm.
7. Pin Cushion
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / MAMMILLARIA FORUM – MAURILLIO
- Scientific name: Mammilaria decipiens
- Country of origin: Native of the Americas
- Characteristics: These are small cacti that cluster together; there are more than 200 species of this type. Its thorns are whitish and it blooms in summer. Grown in full sun.
8. Cactus noodles
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / PLANTS LOVED BY HERMIT
- Scientific name: Rhipsalis baccifera
- Country of origin: Native of Africa
- Characteristics: The macaroni cactus is a different and exotic cactus, and has this popular name thanks to its shape. It has no thorns and measures up to 90cm. It is grown in half shade.
9. Fox tail
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CACTUS ART
- Scientific name: Escobaria sneedii
- Country of origin: Mexico
- Characteristics: Its thorns are white and contrast with its flowers, which can be pink, orange or yellow. It blooms in warm months and grows up to 27cm. Grown in half shade.
10. October flower
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / STONE ECHOES
- Scientific name: Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri regel
- Country of origin: Brazil and South America
- Characteristics: This cactus reaches a height of 40cm and also has no thorns. Grown in half shade with regular watering, only when the substrate dries.
11. Peanut cactus
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / JURACI MARCOS
- Scientific name: Echinopsis chamaecereus
- Country of origin: Argentina
- Characteristics: It has this name because its stems have a diameter the size of a peanut. It is a 30cm branched plant that blooms in spring and its flowers are red. Grown in half shade.
12. Orchid cactus
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / PLANTSONYA
- Scientific name: Epiphyllum Ackermannii
- Country of origin: Native to Central and South America
- Characteristics: It grows from 60cm to 1m, blooms between summer and spring and its flowers are red. Grown in half shade.
13. May flower
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / JIM KNOWLTON – WILD ABOUT CACTUS
- Scientific name: Schlumbergera truncata
- Country of origin: Native to South America
- Characteristics: It is one of the most appreciated and widespread cacti and one more species that does not have thorns. It blooms in autumn and its height reaches 40cm. Grown in half shade with watering.
14. Cactus button
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / LUSH DESERT GARDENS
- Scientific Name: Epithelantha micromeris
- Country of origin: Texas, Arizona and northern Mexico
- Characteristics: The bud cactus is 6cm tall, blooms in the warm months and, after flowering, produces an edible red fruit. It propagates by plant division and by seeds. It is grown in full sun with sporadic watering.
15. Mother-in-law Chair
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / MAZHAR ALI – CACTUS PLANET
- Scientific Name: Echinocactus grusonii
- Country of origin: Mexico
- Characteristics: Large and round, this cactus can measure up to 60cm in diameter. Its sharp spines are long and yellowish and it produces large isolated yellow flowers.
Flowering cactuses: 3 tips to boost flowering
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / BERM BANGBUA
One of the big questions about cacti is whether all species and genera give flowers. And the answer is yes, all types of cacti are capable of flowering. “All cactus blooms, some with exuberant flowers and others with flowers without ornamental value. Some cacti take years to flower, such as Cephalocereus senelis, which takes, on average, 20 years”, explains Mônica. Check out now three tips that can help increase the chances of the cactus blooming faster:
1. Sun is essential: To increase the chances of the cactus blooming, it needs to receive a lot of sunlight. In addition, the sun is also important to avoid a phenomenon called etiolation, where the cactus is crooked and ends up “stretching” ” in search of light. When they are cultivated in environments with low natural light, the plant makes a great effort in search of the sun and, therefore, ends up using a lot of energy and does not flower.
2. Fertilizer is very important: Mônica says that cacti convey the idea that they don’t need to be fertilized, but, in fact, they do. “Not often, it can be once a month, using NPK 10-10-10 or organic fertilizer, such as bone meal, castor bean pie and earthworm humus, using according to the manufacturer’s information”, advises the landscaper.
3. Watering sparingly during autumn and winter: In general, cacti do not need a lot of water. However, in autumn and winter, watering should be even less. “It is during this time of year that the cacti rest, so we must reduce their irrigation by once or twice a month”, explains the professional.
how to care
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / GREEN I WANT YOU GREEN
Despite being very easy plants to care for, cacti need some specific care so that they grow healthy and beautiful. Follow the tips below to properly care for your cactus:
1. Amount of Sun: The cactus is a desert plant, so it is essential that it gets direct sun for at least 4 hours a day, preferably during the hottest hours. “Most cacti like the sun, but some adapt indoors near windows,” says Mônica. Therefore, it is no use cultivating cacti if it is to keep them fully inside houses and apartments.
2. Frequency of watering: Mônica says that one of the most common problems of cacti is plant rot, when watered constantly. “Since it is a ‘fat’ plant and has plenty of water, the ideal is to water only once a week in a small amount (depending on the size of the pot)”, teaches the professional.
3. Soil preparation: As explained above, it is essential that the cactus soil is fertilized at least once a month. Furthermore, it is also important that the soil is well drainable. Drainage is a key factor in the growth of healthy plants, as it prevents the soil from waterlogging and, as a result, plant decay. In addition, it also prevents the appearance of fungi and scale insects, one of the most common pests of cacti.
How to drain?
If you are going to plant in pots, make a drainage layer at the bottom of the pot, which can be made with expanded clay, gravel, or pieces of tile. Then, before placing the substrate, it is recommended to place a bidim blanket, a felt or even a coffee filter so that the earth does not enter the middle of the stones and end up clogging the hole in the vase. The blanket also prevents part of the substrate from coming out of the bottom of the pot during watering. Finally, you can use a covering such as pebbles or pine bark, which makes the vase more beautiful and has a porous and irregular structure, which facilitates the absorption of moisture. But, it is important to emphasize that the vessels must have holes underneath, otherwise the drainage does not work.
4. Growing and Pruning: “Cactus in general is slow growing and almost never needs pruning. But, if necessary, use gloves to avoid getting hurt”, explains Mônica.
5. The best type of vase: A great tip for the cactus to last even longer is to use clay or cement vases, which evaporate water more easily. Thus, the risk of cacti becoming sticky is greatly reduced.
6. Pest control: Pest attack happens more in cacti that catch little sun, are soaked or little fertilized. Therefore, with proper care, the risk of pests is greatly reduced. However, if your cactus already has scale insects, the tip is to remove it from the ground and clean it with a toothbrush and mild soap. Then apply neem oil regularly to avoid infestation. Another common problem is that the root rots and the cactus has a luscious base. The good news is that you can save the plant in this case. Cut the affected part and let it heal for about a week; then plant again and go without watering for a month, until it takes root. In that case, it is recommended that he only catch the morning or afternoon sun.
40 beautiful cactuses for you to get inspired and plant in your home
Now that you’ve seen different types of cacti and know how to take care of them correctly, check out our inspirations with this beautiful and authentic plant, to leave your home or garden full of personality:
1. Modern and stylish
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / HOME STORIES
This beautiful cactus gained a very special corner and was positioned on a modern and stylish stool. The vase also has a more modern and minimalist style. But don’t forget: even if you place your cactus indoors, it should be exposed to the sun for a few hours every day.
2. Combine different types of cactuses and pots
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / NICEPIIC
Look how funny this combination is! Different species of cacti were used and also different types of pots. It has a vase made of clay, copper, gold and even crochet. Thus, you make your decor versatile, fun and, of course, full of life.
3. Make a mini garden
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / LUIZA SOARES
Another really cool idea to do with cacti is a mini garden like this. You can compose with other succulents or even with a Bonsai , those trees with reduced dimensions. This piece shows how beauty can be found in the smallest details.
4. A beautiful collection of cactuses
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CACTUS VOICE
How about a beautiful collection like this? A good idea is to reserve a corner of the house for the cactus pots. Due to the great diversity of species and genera, it is possible to make beautiful compositions with different types of this plant. In this case, the fabric square on the wall made the decoration even more rustic, referring to the culture of countries like Chile and Peru, where you can find many cactuses.
5. A more than charming idea
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / HOUSE OF ELLERY
Look at the macaroni cactus scorching the decoration! This photo shows a great idea for placing cacti outdoors: a wooden support suspended and attached to the wall by a crochet string. It is beautiful and with that beautiful rustic touch that has everything to do with porches, gardens and backyards.
6. Good fluids for home
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / DECOR PAPER
In addition to their exotic and rustic beauty, cacti are also considered protective amulets. In Feng Shui, this species of plant works as a cleanser of environments and a great guardian of the house. So, if you like cacti, this is another great reason to grow them in your home.
7. Make the decorations your own
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / WORLD IN THE POT
How about combining cacti with your favorite decorative objects? This one in the photo made a beautiful composition with Frida Kahlo’s painting, which, by the way, has everything to do with the theme of flowers and nature. Highlight also for the beautiful clay pot, one of the best pot materials for planting cacti.
8. A special touch in decor
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / NET DECOR
Cacti give an exotic air to the environment and are good allies to enhance and enhance the beauty of your favorite room in the house. Placing cacti beside the bed, on a small table or in a large vase in the living room will attract good fluids into the home and also great taste in the decoration.
9. Play with creativity
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / SUCCULENT BEAR
Look what a creative and fun idea! The peanut cactus was planted no more, no less, than in the peanut pot itself! Isn’t it great? You can play with creativity and create various original and humorous pieces like this one.
10. A beautiful and charming terrarium
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / HOME STORIES
Increasingly sought after, terrariums are practical options that everyone can do at home. The terrarium is a small garden set up delicately inside a specific container, whether it is open or closed. It is ideal for those who live in small apartments that do not have potted plants or for those who do not have much experience in taking care of plants. This one was all set up with cacti and other succulents!
11. Style to spare
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / KAKTUSOTUZBES
Here’s another example of stylish and different pots for planting cacti. One of them has a super cute design of an owl, while the other has a heart decoration, which can be used as a ticket holder. Highlight for the cactus full of white hairs, which resembles the beard of an old man, explained by landscape artist Mônica Cipelli.
12. Cactus in living room decoration
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / SUITE ARCHITECTS
This large cactus made the living room decor bold and authentic. Striking and imposing, cactuses of this size are ideal for larger, more spacious environments, and can even be used to divide the space of the dining room from the living room. Give preference to places where there is enough sun to place them.
13. Cactuses as party favors
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CELEBRATE PARTIES
Have you ever thought about using cacti as party favors? Those in the photo were used as wedding favors. It’s a great way to show how this plant can also be associated with something more romantic and delicate, despite its thorns. Very creative, isn’t it?
14. A sustainable idea
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / NARACHA DOM
With a simple cardboard box it is possible to make a support for vases super cool and, still, sustainable. So, you keep your plants, decorate your house and even contribute to the environment.
15. A graceful mini cactus
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / HOUSE PLANTS
This is another example of a super cute and charming mini cactus! Furthermore, the design of the ceramic vase is also very beautiful and elegant and gives a special and delicate touch to the decoration. The mini-cactus vases can be placed anywhere and are easy to combine in environments, perfect for those who live in apartments and small houses.
16. Set up a private garden
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / LANDSCAPING LINE – CLAUDIA MUÑOZ
Here, we see a rustic outdoor area with brick walls and several different species of plants, forming a beautiful potted garden. The cactus in the photo is the chair of the mother-in-law.
17. Terrariums are beautiful and versatile
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / VANDO AND FABI TERRARIUMS
In this photo we see another beautiful example of terrarium . The cool thing about this type of plantation is that you can assemble it in different ways and with different compositions. This one got a glass pot and even a miniature owl among the cacti. Isn’t it cute?
18. Cactuses combine very well with rustic environments
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / OUR HOUSE 215
Look how cute the cactus was in the corner of the room, next to the sofa! This plant has a more rustic style and combines very well with environments with this style of decoration. Here, the plush rug, the blanket on the sofa , the hammock and even the crochet vase complemented the rustic touch of the cactus.
19. Beautiful trio of flowering cacti
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / FLOWERS ON THE WHARF
Another very nice option to decorate with cactuses is to make a set like the one in the photo, which is especially beautiful due to the orange flowers. You can use the same style of vase and cactus and place them on a tray. The set can be used on shelves, to decorate tables, shelves or whatever else you want. It’s so cute!
20. Create unusual compositions
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CRATE OF MIRACLES
Look at that creative and authentic composition!! Can you imagine combining cactus and pineapple? Yeah, and isn’t that what it’s all about?! Not to mention the choice of these beautiful hand-painted vases and the use of bricks as vases. All very interesting and fun!
21. Matching pots always works
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / YOYA SUCCULENTS
Here, we see another beautiful set of cactus vases. The biggest ones are made of cement with black and copper paint on the base. The one in the middle is all copper, matching the paintwork of the others. The rustic wooden support also added a special touch to the composition.
22. Cactus very close to the window
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / OPEN HOUSE
This modern living room with rustic touches has been given a beautiful vase of tall cactuses. It was positioned very close to the window, so the plant could be in the sun. In addition, it made a beautiful combination with the leather rug, the leather armchair , the wooden stools and even the picture placed on the floor.
23. Graceful crochet pots
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / ZURC CACTUS
These crochet pots are super versatile and can be used for different purposes. Here, they were used as beautiful little pots for cacti. Special emphasis is also given to the artificial miniature of the plant, complementing the decoration.
24. Cactuses in decoration: practicality and style
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / ARCHITECTURE BLOG
Another beautiful room with a rustic style and full of little plants. The long cactus is a success in decorating rooms, especially when composing with a smaller cactus, as shown in this example. In addition to being super stylish, this plant is very practical and easy to care for.
25. Cultivate with love
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / LUCY MONTEIRO
Even though cacti are easy plants to care for, love and care are essential for them to grow up happy and healthy. After all, all plants feel the energy of the house and the people around them. Here, several small pots placed on the windowsill were used.
26. Terrariums and mini gardens are beautiful and delicate
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CASA VERDE – CACTARIA & JARDIM
Look how beautiful this model of mini garden! Remembering that in addition to the pebbles, you can decorate the vases with pine barks. In the case of small stones, they can also be colored. In this example, the vase made of cement with a rustic finish added even more charm to the piece.
27. The coffee table became more charming
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / LIFE OF NEWLYWEDS
Sometimes small details make all the difference! This coffee table gained much more charm and personality with the cactus vases. In addition, the overall decor of the living room is also super authentic and striking.
28. Cacti deserve a special and well decorated corner
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CARLA FASSARELLA
Look how beautiful this corner of the cacti is! Two clay vases and one wicker vases were used, which combined perfectly with the rustic armchair and the basket hanging on the wall. Another very nice detail is the retro camera, also hanging on the wall, working as a decorative object. A mix of styles that worked very well!
29. Decoration thought with care for cacti
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CAROLINA BARBOSA
Here, we see another beautiful place to receive cacti. Both the red table with a bottle cap design and the ceramic vases that resemble pineapples are beautiful and made a beautiful composition with the plants.
30. Cacti decorating the bathroom
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / GREEN GARDEN
How about decorating the bathroom with cactus pots like these? It’s a great idea to add more life and color to this room in the house. Just be careful with the lack of light and steam.
31. Beautiful colored stones
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CASA VERDE – CACTARIA & JARDIM
Look how beautiful it is to decorate the cactus vases with colored pebbles. The ones in the photo are emerald green and give more life to the vase, in addition to making a nice contrast with the very white thorns of this species of cactus.
32. More emphasis on the outdoor area
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / ANDRÉ MARTINS
This outdoor garden gained more prominence with the tall cacti in the raised bed. In addition, the warm lights gave an even more desert climate to the environment.
33. Crate and cactuses: the perfect combination
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / GREEN FINGER
Here, we see another beautiful and sustainable pot option, the cacti were planted in a fair box . A super practical and simple idea to make, after all, these materials are very affordable and economical.
34. Each cactus in its pot
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / BRUTA FLOWER CACTI AND SUCCULENTS
Look how beautiful these little red vases. Each has a different shape and size, just like the cacti planted in them. The pallet support was also a grace!
35. A special shelf for cacti
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / DECORATUALMA
In this example, the cacti got a whole bookcase just for themselves. In addition to the bookcase, they also received cups and pots decorated like vases, making the decoration super original and creative.
36. Give your apartment more life
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / IDEAS OF APÊ 301
Another example of a super modern room with a tall cactus vase to give even more character and authenticity to the environment. When properly cared for, these plants can last a long time and, with luck, still produce beautiful flowers.
37. For no ‘cactolover’ to defect
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CAROLINA CABRAL CORREIA
Seriously, what cactus fan wouldn’t want a bookcase like that? In addition to the large collection of different species of cacti, the clay vases are also super charming, including the wooden bookcase itself. A great idea for decorating balconies.
38. Cacti also teach us
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / FERNANDA RAMALHO
Another cool thing about cacti is the philosophy of life we can learn from them. If even cacti, which are covered with thorns, can produce beautiful flowers, then we too can see beauty and hope in the most difficult times. How not to love this plant?
39. Choose appropriate pots
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / GISELE ROCETTI
Look at the cacti decorating the coffee table again! An interesting tip is to use decorative vases over more traditional vases, as shown in the photo. Thus, the cactus is planted in a pot more suitable for its healthy growth, while decorating your home.
40. A breathtaking facade
PHOTO: REPRODUCTION / CACTUS HOUSE
Can you imagine living in a house with a facade like that? These beautiful plants make the house much more beautiful, protected and full of life. Highlighting, of course, the extremely charming tall and long cacti.
So, did you like to know more about cacti? If you are passionate about this plant, how about starting to grow it at home? Now that you know the advantages of having a cactus in your home, just choose the species that you like best, according to your personality. Full sun, little water and a well-drainable soil are the items needed for your cactus to grow healthy and live fully happy. And of course, lots of love and affection too.